Thursday, November 4, 2010

It's a Conspiracy

There is something working against me at my house. That's the only explanation for the way the past several nights and mornings have gone.

Each night I go to bed so tired I can hardly walk. My eyes begin to close on their own. I get in the bed, get my pillow fixed, snuggle under the cover, and wait for the bliss of pure, uninterrupted sleep -- and then I get hot. Or the pillow has a wrinkle in it. Or my back itches. Or the light from my alarm clock keeps me awake. Or the dog barks. And all this goes on until two or three IN THE MORNING! When I finally fall asleep, it's time for Robbie to be getting up. And then I doze off and wake up late.

Ugh!!! I hate waking up late! Nothing goes right. Have you ever noticed that the days you wake up late are the days that your hair MUST be washed? And the pants you want to wear are playing undercover agent? And the shoes you need are in the truck, because you changed into tennis shoes after gym? And the keys are not to be found ANYWHERE??

There must be a conspiracy to keep my day from going well. But just at the point that I'm about to scream (that usually happens when I realize the I need to get gas before going to school), I remember the lesson Grace taught me just the other day--one she is learning in kindergarten where Ms. Daun uses a traffic light for behavior. "If you want to have a good day, just stay on the green. If you talk to much or do bad things, you might get on yellow or red. If you get on yellow, you can be real good again and get back on green. But if you get on red, life is not good. The best thing to do, ZiZi, is just stay on the green."

So I'm working very hard to stay on the green, because no gremlin conspiracy at my house is going to make me get on the red!

No comments: