Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Wizard of Oz kind of day

Yesterday was a day of "weirds." Lauren and I have joked about that some words cover A LOT of ground. Weird is one of those. First of all, an unusual event on the way to school. Now, my kids (students and biological) are accustomed to my saying, "Guess what? On the way to school today I...". They have become adept at filling in the blank with "hit a _____." Sometimes it's a deer; other times dogs commit suicide by using by truck. I hit a herd of pigs on the way home from dance practice with Lauren (she just reminded me of that.) Once I bumped an emu. Really. He flared his wing at me and I bumped him. Robert got nearly hysterical once when I hit a turtle because it "darted" in front of me, but it truly did!

But yesterday, nobody got the blank right. Grace and I were on our way to school when I saw what appeared to be an accident -- maybe a motorcycle or small car. The sun glinted off of blue and silver "metal." Then I got closer and, to my great joy, I saw the "victim" emerging from the "wreckage." Except there was no victim -- or wreckage. A man in a blue and silver helmet and one of those suits your REALLY have to like yourself to wear waved at me as he emerged from his PARACHUTE! A parachute! At 7:30 in the morning! On a Monday! Who does that?

But that did not end my day. On the way to gymnastics -- and I was running late because of computer techs and personality conflicts and printer problems -- we were slowed to a stop because a HOUSE was in the middle of the road! A house! In the road! On a Monday! Who does that?

Grace said, "ZiZi, what is going on?" All I could think of was Dorothy saying , "We're not in Kansas anymore."

Yep, it was certainly a weird day.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

BAHAHAHA!!! Parachute...really?!?!

Casey said...

That's hilarious!

Lisa Williams said...

Really!! It is funny now, but it was so weird!