Sunday, July 8, 2012

Signed, Sealed, Delivered...They Are Married!!

I absolutely LOVE planning, decorating for, and directing weddings. It is fun in the planning stages, exhausting in the carrying out of it, and so satisfying when everything comes together just as the bride wanted...or almost :)

Over the years I have developed a strong relationship with the Viers family. I grew up with Carleen, the family mom. My sister Pam and I were always close to her. In 2005, Carleen asked if I would be interested in helping with her daughter Tonya's wedding. Well, of course!! No problem, or so I thought. Turns out, Robert and Kandace had forgotten to tell me they changed the date of their wedding--moved it up a week. Yep, Tonya's week. There was one saving grace: Tonya got married on Friday night, so I was able to go to the rehearsal on Thursday and make sure everything was lined up. Lauren and Vicki filled in on Friday night while the rest of us hosted Robert's rehearsal supper. That was a bit nerve racking, but it worked.

Then Nikki Viers got engaged. Would I help? But of course. Time to redeem myself and actually be there for everything. Or that was the plan...

Robert and Kandace were expecting Daniel, who would be born in July. The wedding was June 10th. No problem. Until June 10th. At 2:00 A.M., Kandace called and said they were at the hospital, but was sure they would probably get to come home. Could we just go to their house and get their stuff just in case and bring it to the hospital?? Sure!

And we did. And she wasn't sent home. As the morning wore on, I got worried. It was 4th down, 25 to go, so what did I do? Yep. Time to punt. Good thing I have awesome receivers. Lauren and Vicki jumped right in and pulled everything off. Thanks to Mrs. Prissy for sending them on to the hospital when things did not go as well as planned there either.

After all that, can you believe the Viers family called me AGAIN, this time for Shannon's wedding?!?!?!?

And I'm soooooo happy they did! I had the BEST time. Shannon is definitely NOT in the running for Bridezilla...she is waaaaaaay too easygoing and sweet to be that. That is certainly not to say that we haven't had some interesting moments....

Like the time she told me they had decided to have barbeque sandwiches and chips at the reception...

Or when she showed me the beautiful teacart meant for the bride's cake...with only one wheel.

Or when the bakery that had agreed to make her cake and had taken her deposit informed her they would be closed the week of the wedding, but they would be happy to freeze her cake and let her pick it up. Hmmmm...

Seeing Shannon's little car literally FILLED with grapevine...the trunk and the backseat...and they still had three passengers in the car!

And then I was attacked by grapevine while we were decorating her arch...really, that stuff could easily win the war in the Middle East. I mean, the way it caught my hair and clothes and skin, I'm thinking all those loose-fitting clothes and some grapevine is a sure-fire trap. I can't believe that southern-grown grapevine is not being used as a weapon of mass destruction. Oh, well.


The groom's cake, supposed to be there at 8:00 A.M., arrived at 2:00 P.M.

Yes, there were some interesting moments before the wedding. And during...which is always the case when you have children in the wedding :) They were precious...and hungry...and wanted daddy...and just, as Noah, said "very, very tired." Smart 3-year-old :)

Sometimes you just know that everything is just the way the bride planned. That's how I felt about this one. Shannon had done so much herself, and she had given me such an awesome explanation of the vision she had. That made it really easy to bring this wedding to a perfect end. Even the one thing I thought I would not be able to give her was accomplished. She so wanted slices of wood for centerpieces and for the food table. Amazingly, the wedding of a former student was done with that very thing, so even that wish came true!!

Vicki and Karissa were invaluable help. We had to have walked the equivalent of a marathon over a few days. Lynn Williams Walker is an absolutely AWESOME caterer...I'd recommend her to anybody -- unless you want bbq at your wedding :)

I truly wish I had more pictures to post, because everything was soooo beautiful. I even got to work with the photographer and saw some of the shots he got...I cannot WAIT to see the actual photos!

Weddings are always emotional. They signal such a huge milestone in the lives of the bride and groom. This one is especially so ... Shannon's mom has shed many tears because the couple will be living in Seattle, Washington -- or, as Carleen tearfully put it, "They are leaving in the morning and moving to the MOON!!"

Shannon and Jacob are such a sweet couple, so very much in love and so ready to begin their life together. Please pray for them as they begin their new adventure, and pray for their families as they adjust to this "new normal."




The food was awesome! Everyone loved the ice cream bar, too!


The groom's cake ended up being two cakes, so a quick redo of the table was in order.

Guest tables were in the huge entry hall of the church...just beautiful. See the wood? She was so happy about that :)

Hugs and Kisses from the new Mr. and Mrs.-- how cute is that!

So simple. So elegant. So romantic. So Shannon :)
Love the pew decor...just perfect








No comments: